Most services and transactions can be completed through our website at any time. You can apply for an exemption, change your address, make an inquiry about your property or email our team. You can also contact us through email, phone or physical mail.
Submission of Homestead/Exemptions documents: please submit your documents by emailing them to our Customer Service department.
Organizational exemptions are granted to organizations that own and predominantly or exclusively use their properties for exempt purposes. As is the case with all exemptions, these are not automatic; organizations must apply for them by March 1 of the current tax year.
Once granted most organizational exemptions will renew automatically; however, some exemptions may be determined by the property appraiser to require an amended or updated application.
- Charitable, which use provides such service or value to the community that its interruption could result in expenditures of public funds;
- Religious, for all properties owned by religious organizations and used for religious purposes;
- Scientific, for scientific research and operations;
- Literary, including not-for-profit cultural and arts groups;
- Educational, including not-for-profit schools, charter schools and may include property used by a private school when the school is eligible for certain accreditation.
How to apply
Your organization must complete the Ad Valorem Tax Exemption Application and Return form, DR-504, for each parcel of land.
In order for your organization to benefit from the exemption, the following conditions must be met by January 1 of the year you are applying for the exemption:
- The property must be owned by the organization
- The property must be in use for the exempt (charitable, religious, scientific, or literary) purposes for which the organization was formed
Additionally, the completed Ad Valorem Tax Exemption and Return form exemption must be filed with our office by March 1, and include all of the following:
If you have any additional questions about the application process or other matters pertaining to the ad valorem tax exemption, please call our office at (941) 861-8200 and we will be glad to assist you.