Annual Report/About SCPA
I am both pleased and honored in having been chosen to serve the citizens of Sarasota County as Property Appraiser. My staff and I hold a strong conviction to promote transparency in all our endeavors and are pleased to share the standards we strive to uphold.
Bill Furst, Sarasota County Property Appraiser
To prepare an assessment roll that is accurate and meets all legal requirements while advocating for fairness and equity in developing values for real and personal property within Sarasota County and administering exemptions to the best of our ability.
To excel at serving the public effectively and courteously.
We hold ourselves to the highest standards of respect, honesty and openness. We hold ourselves accountable to the taxpayers and strive to merit their trust. We are diligent stewards of the taxpayers’ interests. We consider courtesy, fairness, transparency and citizen advocacy to be our guiding principles and practices. We pledge to uphold the ‘11 Commandments for the Public Servant’:
- Taxpayers are the most important people in the community.
- Taxpayers are not dependent on us; we are dependent upon them.
- Taxpayers are not an interruption of work; they are the purpose of our work.
- Taxpayers do us a favor when they call or come into the office. We are not doing them a favor by waiting on them.
- Taxpayers are part of our work; they are not outsiders.
- Taxpayers are not cold statistics. They are flesh and blood. They are human beings with feelings and emotions just like us.
- Taxpayers are not people to argue with, match wits with or ridicule.
- Taxpayers are people who need our assistance and it is our job to provide professional quality service.
- Taxpayers are deserving of the most courteous and attentive treatment that we can give them.
- Taxpayers are the people who make it possible for our salary to be paid.
- Taxpayers are a vital part of this government and every decision undertaken.