OUR SERVICES ARE ONLINE!
Submission of Homestead/Exemptions documents: please submit your documents by emailing them to our Customer Service department.
You can also contact us through email, phone or physical mail.
We’re glad you’re considering the Sarasota County Property Appraiser as a prospective employer! Headquartered in the historic Terrace Building in Sarasota and with offices in Venice and North Port, the Sarasota County Property Appraiser's Office offers competitive salaries, an excellent benefits package which includes health & dental coverage, a deferred compensation plan, vehicle for business use, fitness facilities, Florida Retirement System plan, eleven (11) paid holidays, a generous paid time off system and more. We search for individuals who can accept change, challenge, and are committed to our community. Our motto "Serving our community with pride and accountability", is what we do best!
Additional documentation must be submitted with your application to qualify for veterans’ preference.
Applying for employment with our agency is now easier than ever. Simply follow the steps below:
Download and complete the Employment Application form (Fillable PDF) (you must have a PDF Reader installed to access the form). Be sure to answer all questions completely and to electronically sign and date where indicated. Save the completed form on your computer/device.
Next, click the yellow “Submit Application” button at the end of your completed form. This will prompt your default email program to create a new email automatically attaching the application. Please include your current resume with your completed application.
Email your completed application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s that easy!
You can also fax your submission to (941) 861-8243, or mail/hand deliver to:
Sarasota County Property Appraiser
Attn: Human Resources
2001 Adams Lane
Sarasota, FL 34237
An EOE, including disability/veterans
Commercial Appraiser - Sarasota
This full-time position located in our Sarasota office is professional work in the mass appraisal of commercial real property in Sarasota County. Activities include property inspection and collection of field and market data, research, organization, analysis, and interpretation of market data in order to establish just values for real property; discussions about and explanations of value with taxpayers, and preparation of single property assessment reviews for oral presentation in Value Adjustment Board public hearings or legal challenges to value.
Essential Job Functions:
- Analyze, appraise, and review commercial real property using standard appraisal practices and procedures; travel to property locations, measure, photograph and assemble necessary records and field data; work closely with property owners, builders and developers. This includes a competent understanding and application of the income, sales and cost approaches to value.
- Input commercial property information into the CAMA system (Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal). Utilize other software as needed, included GIS applications, and Microsoft Office suite.
- Understanding of generally accepted appraisal practice and Florida Statute 193.011.
- Research, review, and verify vacant and improved sales. Review deeds, listings, sale surveys and other documents to determine if sales should be qualified. Determine and apply appropriate sale qualification codes.
- Support values at Value Adjustment Board hearings. Assemble and organize data and analyses in preparation for depositions and testimony related to Circuit Court challenges.
- Consult in person and by telephone with taxpayers and other representatives to resolve appraisal and administrative problems; explain assessment criteria; answer questions regarding property values, appraisal techniques and statutory requirements.
- Assist with developing and maintaining commercial property valuation models including income modeling and CAMA adjustments.
- Establish effective working relationships with staff and act professionally and courteously when dealing with the public, staff of other agencies, or co-workers.
- Other duties as assigned
- High school or recognized equivalent. Further degree (Associates or Bachelors) from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Real Estate, Finance, Accounting, or Economics is preferred. Varying combinations of education and experience will satisfy required minimums.
- A minimum of five (5) years of varied technical appraisal experience and a CFE or related professional appraisal designation or state certification.
- Required knowledge of highest and best use theory; must be able to utilize the income, cost and sales comparison approaches to determine market value of commercial properties.
- Competent in the use of computers, databases, word processing and spreadsheets is required. Ability to use MS office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, TEAMS) comfortably and knowledgeably.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license.
Salary Range: $59,500 - $65,000
Residential Field Technician - Sarasota
This full-time position in our Sarasota office involves moderately complex work in gathering data for appraisal analysis and preparation to determine values for tax roll and Value Adjustment Board appeals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Inspect properties to verify characteristics
- Review and verify building permits
- Measure and sketch residential properties
- Establish quality grades and effective age
- Communicate with taxpayers to explain valuations
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of construction materials and/or property inspections experience
- Appraisal knowledge to include understanding of quality grades and effective age
- Must be proficient in the use of MS Excel and Word, CAMA systems and GIS technology
- Able to provide examples of decisions made and judgment used
- Working knowledge of geometry
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent customer relations
- Extremely attentive to detail
- Valid Florida driver license (or be obtained prior to start)
- Impeccable organizational skills and time management
- High level of detail and accuracy
- Associates degree or equivalent work experience
- One year of appraisal experience
Senior Software Engineer - Sarasota
This full-time position is located in our Sarasota office. A successful candidate for this position will be able to design, develop, test, install, maintain, and support all assigned internal business and vendor applications. Responsibilities will include, but not limited to designing, maintaining and supporting the public sites, intranet sites, and other applications used to manage the input, display, search, and maintenance of large sets of records as needed. Must be self-motivated, able to work independently, and take initiative.
- Ability to design, develop, test and deploy complex data driven web enabled and native applications, services, and interfaces
- Perform business requirements analysis, confer with users, model processes, and develop functional specifications
- Strong support and application maintenance skills
- Investigate, analyze, summarize internal and vendor application development and service issues
- Design and develop interfaces for data exchanges between applications
- Provide estimates and identify critical paths for assigned tasks
- Document application architecture, design, interfaces, and test plans
- Lead small to mid-sized projects from start to finish
- Provide feedback on evaluations of vendor applications
- Research and identify appropriate technologies and solutions to deliver or enhance complex systems
- Improves operations through analysis and recommending changes in policies and procedures
- Accomplishes IT and organization mission by completing related results as needed
- Adaptable and responsive to change
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field and 6+ years of related experience in software development OR equivalent combination of advanced education and experience
- 3+ years application development experience with C# or related languages
- 3+ years development experience using Microsoft SQL Server
- Understanding of ASP.NET, jQuery, Web Services, Web API, and Entity Framework
- Understanding of design patterns, MVC, and Inversion of Control
Other skills and experience (desired but not required):
- Experience with ASP Classic
- Experience with Umbraco or other CMS
- Experience with Subversion or similar version control
- Knowledgeable in application lifecycle management
- Familiarity with user centered design, responsive web design, and other approaches to the user experience
- Experience with unit testing and continuous integration best practices
- Computer Aided Mass Appraisal (CAMA) system experience (AssessPro, customCAMA)
- SharePoint development experience
(Ability to work remotely)
There are no part-time positions available at this time.