OUR SERVICES ARE ONLINE!
Submission of Homestead/Exemptions documents: please submit your documents by emailing them to our Customer Service department.
You can also contact us through email, phone or physical mail.
Value Adjustment Board (VAB) Petitions
To appeal the Market (Just) Value on your property or the denial of an Ad Valorem tax exemption, we highly recommend you first meet with the property appraiser’s office to discuss your concerns. This important first step will go a long way towards resolving an issue. Please bring to the meeting information supporting your concern, such as sales comparison data or property damage documentation.
If your concern remains unresolved after meeting with the property appraiser’s staff, you may file a petition for a hearing with the Value Adjustment Board (VAB).
- The deadline for filing a petition regarding your property value is 25 days after the mailing of the TRIM notice. In order for a petition to be considered filed on time, it must be received by the Value Adjustment Board prior to 5:00 PM local time on the date specified on the Notice of Proposed Property Taxes (TRIM).
- The deadline for filing a petition regarding the denial of an exemption or transfer of assessment difference is 30 days from the mailing date of the denial letter.
- Visit the Clerk to the Value Adjustment Board website for information on filing your appeal. Questions regarding VAB petitions and filing process must be directed to the Clerk to the Value Adjustment Board.
Filing a Petition
Petitions must be filed with the Clerk to the Value Adjustment Board.
You can file a petition online with the Clerk to the Value Adjustment Board. Online filing requires payment by credit card (a payment processor fee will apply). Petitioners filing electronically will have access to the status of their petitions. Additional information regarding electronic filing is available at www.SarasotaClerk.com. Computers are available for your use at these two Clerk to the Value Adjustment Board office locations:
- 1660 Ringling Boulevard, Suite 210, Sarasota, FL 34236
- 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Suite 222, Venice, FL 34293
A taxpayers guide on petitions to the Value Adjustment Board can be found on the Florida Department of Revenue site.
Please submit your VAB evidence to the property appraiser's office by bringing it into the office, mailing it or -if you received a letter requesting evidence from our office- sending it via email to the contact person provided in the letter.
PLEASE NOTE: Florida does not have a process available to challenge Non-Ad Valorem taxes. If you are satisfied with your property’s valuation but are objecting to the proposed taxes on your property then you should contact the individual taxing authorities that levy the taxes on your property; you can also voice your opinion at the budget hearings listed on your TRIM notice.
VAB Petition Forms
You can file your petition online. If you do not wish to file online, you can download and print the appropriate Florida Department of Revenue form for your filing and mail (or hand deliver) it to the Clerk to the Value Adjustment Board.
If you do not agree with the decision of the Value Adjustment Board, you may file a claim with the Circuit Court within 60 days of the certification of the tax roll. You should consider consulting a legal professional.